Mr. Napleton is a name partner of Motherway & Napleton. Bob was born and raised on the South Side of Chicago. He graduated from Brother Rice High School in 1981 and Loyola University Chicago in 1985. He went on to attend Loyola University Chicago’s Law School (J.D. 1988) during which time he served as a law clerk for the Honorable Judge James E. Murphy of the Circuit Court of Cook County. During law school, he also worked as a law clerk for the Cook County State’s Attorney’s office in Markham, Illinois.
On June 1, 1987, Bob started his career at Motherway & Glenn as a law clerk for Nick Motherway and Bob Glenn. In November 1988, he began working at the firm as an associate attorney with a practice centered on personal injury, wrongful death, and medical negligence cases. Bob is an active member of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association and the Illinois State Bar Association, where he served as a member of the Board of Governors from 1994 to 2000. He has been a member of the Board of Managers of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association since 1997.
In 2000, he was named by his peers as one of the “40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch.” He is a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, whose membership is by invitation only and is limited to no more than 1% of the bar. In 2009, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2017, Bob was named to the Top 100 Illinois Super Lawyers® list.
Bob has obtained numerous multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements, including the following:
- $54.15 million jury verdict (record high verdict for Illinois auto personal injury)
- $27.67 million jury verdict (truck crash on Interstate 80 causing paralysis)
- $15 million settlement (record high for medical malpractice case against Cook County Hospital)
- $14.6 million jury verdict (record high verdict for Livingston County, Illinois)
- $7.88 million jury verdict (medical malpractice for the estate of a woman who died two years after suffering complications from a nerve block procedure)
- $4.76 million jury verdict (distracted driving case wrongful death case)
Additionally, Bob achieved a Thirty-Four (34) Million Dollar settlement which ranked as the #1 personal injury settlement in Illinois according to the Chicago Lawyer Magazine’s 2015 Annual Settlement Survey.