On September 6, 2015, paramedics responded to a 54-year old New Lenox resident who was having an anaphylactic reaction after being stung by a bee. Their first attempt to intubate the patient was unsuccessful. Although the Standard Medical Orders required that they immediately establish an airway by cricothyrotomy, the paramedics attempt another unsuccessful intubation. The paramedics also failed to administer medications in accordance with Standing Medical Orders. Two minutes after they established an airway on their third attempt, the patient arrested and, later, died.
The family was represented by Steve Swanson and Robert J. Napleton.